Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 180 minutes
Serving size: 4 servings (3 ribs per person)
You'll need: Large heavy pot with lid
1 cup of full bodied
4 tbsp. Olive oil
4-5 lbs. of short ribs
1 medium onion-finely chopped
2 ribs of celery-chopped
2 sprigs of rosemary
2 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
4 cloves of garlic- sliced
3 carrots chopped into medium size pieces
1 jar of our Mediterranean
1/2 14oz. can of diced tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste
1 cup of beef stock
1 cup of water
Salt and pepper
Serve over cooked wide noodles, rice or orzo.
1. Heat oil in pot on medium high heat. Add short ribs and brown on all sides. Do in batches--set aside. Cover with foil to stay warm.
2. Take celery, carrots and chopped onions and pulse a few times in a food processor.
3. Add pulsed items to pot (still on medium high heat) and stir to heat. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir it all up. Simmer 2-3 more minutes.
4. Add browned short ribs back into the pot.
5. Add jar of Lizbeth Lane Mediterranean Tomato sauce. Also add 1/2 of 14oz. can of diced tomatoes with some of the can's sauce.
6. Add beef stock, wine, 2 Bay leaves and enough water to make sure you just cover the ribs.
7. Season generously with salt and pepper.
8. Tie fresh thyme sprigs with the rosemary sprigs with kitchen twine. Add to the pot. Give a stir.
9. Cover pot, lower heat to medium low and let slow cook for 3 hours. Stir once in awhile.
10. After 3 hours, remove lid and let simmer for 20-30 more minutes.
11. Remove ribs, discard bay leaves and herb sprigs, add a little WONDRA@ sauce flour or a flour/water mix to thicken gravy slightly.
12. Add ribs back into pot. You are now ready to experience the best Braised Short Ribs you will ever make!
Did you know?
If you prepare a stew like this or any other, make it a day ahead. Allowing the flavors to blend for 24 hours makes the stew taste its' best! Simply make it, and refrigerate overnight. reheat it (covered) the next day in a 350 degree oven.